I've talked before about how having something to look forward to really helps motivate me to push through and this week is no different. As I sit here, I have less than 5 days until I board a plane and meet my BFF in Salt Lake City for a weekend of adventure. Last year, when I was going to book a trip alone, I invited her and since we had such a good time we decided to make it an annual thing. I have been looking forward to this trip for weeks, if not months, and now that it's finally here I'm so excited and in such an extra good mood as a result.
In a little less than three weeks I'll be boarding a plane to Michigan for an extended Labor Day weekend. I get to hike, see my family, and hopefully take a quick dip in the lake. All of these things to look forward to are privileges and I'm aware of how lucky I am to have them. I don't always have the time or money to adventure so here are the main things I look forward to that keep me going:
- A day off from work
- That moment you get home from work and walk through the door unloading your crap, taking your shoes off, and then changing into comfy clothes
- Dinner (especially if my other half makes it)
- A funny TV show or anything on Food Network as a mindless escape
- A walk to the mailbox with the dog
- Maybe, maybe, exercising... this may be a stretch, or maybe I'm glad when it's over?
- A hike at a local trail
- A scheduled friend phone call
- Rocking out to my jams in the car
- Listening to NPR in the morning
- Smelling the coffee brewing as I am getting out of bed
- Meatloaf the cat bugging me for food in the morning
- Reading through articles about nature and outdoorsy stuff
Find the little things that keep you going. Find happiness in the simple things. Find happiness in complex things... just find something that makes you happy and add it to your day as something to look forward to. Recently, I started a free online course to improve my skills and now I look forward to learning again. Really, the possibilities are endless.
Life isn't always fun, fair, or balanced but if we try we can find things to look forward to and enjoy along the way.